Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Lawnmower problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lawnmower problem

    I figured I'd ask you guys first. My push mower started sounding funny last night and I turned it off. It sounded like a twig or something was caught. No twig and when I pulled the cord to restart it, the cord wouldn't even pull. I mean, at all. Any comments or possible solutions would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member GCHSBLUE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2004
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Lawnmower problem

    Did you run it out of oil. The sound could have been metal against metal. The pistons don't work real well without lubrication. If it has oil something is binding it up. Try taking the sparkplug out and see if you can pull the rope.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Lawnmower problem

    I thought the same thing. I checked the dipstick and it was REALLY low. I hadn't checked it this summer, because the kids at school told me they changed it when they were replacing a rusted out wire. I put a quart in and still no luck. What should I do if it was the oil situation?

  4. #4
    The_Sage
    Guest The_Sage's Avatar

    Re: Lawnmower problem

    The engine may have seized up. If so it might be cheaper to buy another mower, unless you can find a used motor. Trying to crank it w/o the plug in will allow you to know if the motor has locked up.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Lawnmower problem

    Thanks for the info. I'm going to check with my vocational buddies. I know you're supposed to change the oil after 25 hours of use. I only use the push mower to cut the bank in front of my house and around the trees. My son has cut a little more when I ask him to, but we haven't put 25 hours on it this summer. Off to Wal-Mart we go.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Lawnmower problem

    Just a postscript to this. My father-in-law didn't tell me what was wrong with it, but an Amish guy fixed it for $10. I know the engine was seized up, but it must not have caused much damage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •